Thursday, January 14, 2010

Bittersweet Sunset

When someone you dearly love is in pain, all you can hope and pray for is that the pain would end. When Jesus waits 'til the other side of Heaven to answer that prayer, even when you're expecting it that way, it's never easy for those left behind.

My Grandma passed away this week. I had been praying daily that her suffering would cease and that Jesus would meet her where she was and lead her to Paradise with Him. I prayed that prayer only hours before I heard the news. Even still, it didn't take away the sadness or the sense of loss. Despite the relief I feel for the end of a season of suffering, I grieve with my family for the passing of a dearly beloved woman.

I will always treasure the memories I have of spending time with my Grandparents. Riding in Grandpa's pickup, squished between the gear shifter and my older brother. The shocked look on Grandma's face when I dumped the entire cup of brown sugar on my oatmeal - the sugar she had meant for all of us to share. Eating fresh peas in Grandpa's garden. The smell of leather and spearmint gum in Grandma's car. I'm sure a million other memories will be dusted off and sifted through as my family and I spend time working our way through Grandma and Grandpa's house over the next few weeks.

For now, I take comfort in the arms of my Savior and friend. I am reminded that He is with me, even to the ends of the earth, and that His thoughts about me are precious. As much as I loved my Grandparents, the Lord loves them with an even greater kind of love than we can ever know. So, as much as I pray that they are in Paradise with Him today, I can trust that Jesus pulled out ALL the stops to ensure their salvation before their passing. I look forward to seeing those in my family who've passed before me, again one day.

No comments: